DON’T BE A VICTIM
Personal Safety and Awareness Training for Women
- Personal safety has become an issue of importance for everyone. This is especially true for women.
- In 2010, there were a total of 269,600 sexual assaults in the United States. Of these, 143,300 were completed sexual assaults, 89,300 were attempted sexual assaults and 37,000 were threatened sexual assaults.
- In 2005-10, the offender was armed with a gun, knife, or other weapon in 11% of rape or sexual assault victimizations.
- In 2005-10, 78% of sexual violence involved an offender who was a family member, intimate partner, friend, or acquaintance.
- The percentage of rape or sexual assault victimizations reported to police increased to a high of 56% in 2003 before declining to 35% in 2010, a level last seen in 1995.
Source: U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics National Crime Victimization Survey (View the entire report at http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/fvsv9410.pdf)
In order to help women protect themselves from assaults and other crimes, Prepare to Act has partnered with Charland Institute of Karate & Fitness to offer an original women’s safety training program.